Travel Tips and Parking
Do you know the way to San Jose?
On this page: Getting to San Jose, parking, travel options from SJC to FC, and accessible travel options
Getting to San Jose
By plane: San Jose has its own airport, the Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport, shortened often to SJC. This is the closest of the 3 Bay Area airports to the convention, and is served by a large number of airlines. If you cannot find a flight into SJC, you may have luck with San Francisco International Airport (SFO), or Oakland International Airport (OAK). These airports are both approximately 45 minutes to an hour from the convention by car, and slightly longer via public transit. By train: The nearest Amtrak station to the convention is the San Jose Diridon station. This station is a major transit hub, with many options available to get from there to the convention. For those wishing to continue on public transit, there are VTA light rail and bus lines between Diridon and the San Jose Convention Center. Rideshares are also popular in our area, making them a good option as well. We recommend using a mapping app with public transit routing built in, such as Google Maps or Apple Maps, to plan your public transit travel ahead of time. You can find more Bay Area transit info on 511.org. By automobile**:** The San Jose Convention Center is near several major freeways, including 101, 280, 87, and 880. The addresses of our four hotels are:
|San Jose Marriott||301 S Market St
San Jose, CA 95113
|Hilton San Jose||300 Almaden Blvd
San Jose, CA 95110
|Hyatt Place Downtown||282 Almaden
Blvd San Jose, CA 95113
|Pacific Motor Inn||455 S 2nd St
San Jose, CA 95113
We recommend using a mapping service or app to plan your travel details in advance.
The San Jose Convention Center and our hotels are located in downtown San Jose. As such, there are a wide range of parking options:
- The San Jose Convention Center garage charged a flat rate of $20 per day for FC2020 (note: we do not yet know the rates for FC2022):
- Multi-day rates are available at a discount if you pre-pay: 2 DAYS: $30 (SAVE $10) 3 DAYS: $45 (SAVE $15) 4 DAYS: $60 (SAVE $20) 5 DAYS: $70 (SAVE $30)
- In order to pre-pay for a multi-day rate, visit the parking office. The CC Parking office is a bit difficult to find… located near the bottom of the entry ramp along Market Street. To get there from inside the convention center, take Elevator 4 (near the UPS store) to level LL. The office entry is next to the lime green H1-13 pillar, past the white and blue Marriott section L3 pillars.
- Daily flat rate does not include in/out privileges unless you pre-pay, though nearly all dining and entertainment options are within walking distance.
- If you have pre-paid, you may drive around the “Full” sign and use your pre-paid ticket for re-entry. However, the lot does tend to fill up, so use the in and out privileges at your own risk.
- The San Jose Marriott offers valet parking only for a limited number of vehicles. The cost for 2020 is $20/day for overnight valet parking with in/out privileges. No self-parking is available.
- The Hilton San Jose offers self-parking for $20 a night with in/out privileges. Valet parking is also available at prevailing rates.
- The Hyatt Place San Jose offers valet parking for hotel guests at $42 per night with in/out included. No self-parking is available.
- The Pacific Motor Inn offers FREE parking for hotel guests, as space is available in the hotel’s private lot.
There are other options for parking in downtown, including the open-air Almaden-Woz lot across from the Hilton, the open-air First Street & I-280 lot, and the 50 W San Fernando lot. For more information on the parking options, we strongly recommend visiting the San Jose Downtown Parking website. A map of parking lots located in the immediate vicinity of the convention center has been included below for reference.
Getting to the convention from the airport (SJC)
Lyft and Uber are easily accessible from the Ground Transportation area at San Jose Airport. This is the fastest option from the airport to the Convention Center and hotels. Refer to SJC’s Rideshares page for more info. Public Transit: From the San Jose Airport: Note: refer to SJC’s Public Transportation page or 511.org for more info.
To save a bit of money and use public transport, a quick combination of bus and light-rail will take you to and from the airport for $2.50. Note that this may not be the best option if you have many bags/fursuit bins/etc. Taxis: Taxis are available from the ground transportation area of SJC. All trips from SJC are a minimum of $15, which includes the first 3 miles of travel and a $1.50 airport fee. Beyond 3 miles, the fares are charged by meter at $3.00 per mile. In our experience, getting to the Convention Center will cost around $25.
In lieu of hiring a taxi, paid shuttle services are available:
- SuperShuttle: 1-800-258-3826
- VIP Airport Shuttle: 1-408-986-6000
- S&E Bay Airport Shuttle: 1-800-548-4664 / 1.408.225.4444
Getting to the convention from SFO (San Francisco International
Public transit from SFO to downtown San Jose involves a combination of BART, Caltrain, and VTA services. BART connects SFO to the Caltrain rail system at the Millbrae Station. Trains operate between Millbrae and San Jose until 12AM. Upon arriving at the San Jose Diridon station, a short bus ride will take you to the San Jose Convention Center (see below).
Getting to the convention from San Jose Diridon Station (Caltrain/Amtrak)
San Jose Diridon transit center is located on the edge of downtown San Jose. It is approximately a 20 minute walk to the Convention Center, which is fine if you aren’t carrying multiple bags or fursuit bins. Fortunately, multiple bus lines connect the train station to SJCC: 64, 68, 22, and Light Rail (going towards Old Ironsides).
Accessible Travel Information
For our attendees with mobility limitations, additional information on accommodations, travel and more can be found below!
(Light Rail / Buses / Paratransit) VTA Accessibility