Further Confusion 2022 COVID‑19 Policy
Welcome back, welcome in!
COVID-19 has cancelled or delayed many conventions. After a virtual FC in 2021, we will have an in-person convention Thursday, January 13, 2022 - Monday, January 17, 2022! That said, there will be changes and new requirements in place to comply with California Department of Public Health (CDPH) mandates.
First, CDPH has issued a mandate that requires proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test for those attending any event with 1,000 people or more. FC exceeds this number yearly. Also, FC is a multi-day event with many attendees arriving days early and staying days afterward. For all those considerations FC will only accept fully vaccinated attendees during our 2022 event. All attendees will be required to show either proof of vaccination via a CDC or state issued vaccination record OR a WHO recognised record from their home country. This information will be collected at registration. Those who arrive without the required documentation will not be permitted access to any spaces controlled by the convention, including those that would otherwise be publicly accessible. Refer to the Vaccination Requirements section.
Second, all attendees in all publicly accessible areas will need to wear a mask. We make this distinction because we intend to have both dances and the party floor available to attendees. All attendees will be required to wear a fabric or a disposable mask over their nose and mouth in publicly accessible areas. This includes but is not limited to: the Dealer’s Den, Exhibition Space (Dances and FC:U), the Party Floor (including hallways and all room parties), and all areas in both the hotels and convention center that do not place you behind a locked door, such as a bathroom stall or hotel room not used for parties. This requirement also applies to fursuiters, so come prepared with sufficient and comfortable masks if you intend to suit! A mask is required under a fursuit head at all times while in convention space. A fursuit head ‘wearing’ a mask is fun and cute but is not a substitute for having a mask on under the head.
Third, the safety of all attendees is in our best interest. If any of the following are no longer true within 21 days of the start of the convention on January 13th, 2022, you are not to attend the convention, and instead email email@example.com for a refund of your registration:
- I, nor anyone in my household have any of the following symptoms: sore throat, chills, body aches for unknown reasons, shortness of breath for unknown reasons, loss of smell, loss of taste, fever at or greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- I, nor anyone in my household have tested positive for COVID-19.
- I to the best of my knowledge have not been in close proximity to any individual who tested positive for COVID-19.
- I do not have any reason to believe myself or anyone in my household has been exposed to or acquired COVID-19.
We look forward to welcoming you back safely. If you have any questions, please reach out to us via our Twitter or through firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to answer you in a timely manner. If you no longer wish to attend in light of these changes, we understand and we’re happy to roll your registration forward to next year.
We Thank You for your attendance, understanding, and patience as we all work together to figure out how best to keep each other safe while still having a great time at these special events we all love so much.
All the best,
- Your FC Leadership Team
Domestic attendees are required to be fully vaccinated, as per CDC definition of Fully Vaccinated, and show proof of vaccination as well as a government issued photo ID to be verified against. Therefore, with the current definition, final injection no later than two weeks before attending, for example, final injection no later than December 30, 2021 if present at the convention on Thursday. Minors under 12 years are also required to be vaccinated.
Proof of vaccination will show the following required information:
- Attendee’s legal name
- Attendee’s date of birth
- Vaccine information
- Vaccine brand
- Date of each vaccination received
Vaccination proof can be in physical or digital form. Therefore, the following examples of common forms of proof will be acceptable as long as the above mentioned required information is shown:
- Physical CDC card
- Photo or scan of physical CDC card
- Photocopy of CDC card
- Digital vaccination record provided by your state (if the required information above is displayed)
- Other documentation from a healthcare provider
International attendees should provide physical or digital documentation that is WHO recognized and acceptable in their country of origin, covering as much of the above required information as possible.
Currently, NO exemptions are permitted other than the following:
- Attendees under 5 years of age are not required to be vaccinated due to lack of vaccines for that age group.
If there are any questions or concerns about the documentation you plan to provide, you may email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will FC do to provide a safe environment during covid?
- FC is closely monitoring and will stay in compliance with all US Federal, California State, and Santa Clara/San Jose local public health and safety ordinances and guidelines regarding COVID-19 as relates to gatherings of our size and nature.
What is FC’s policy on vaccines for attendees?
- FC is a 5 day event (often longer as people arrive early and stay later) therefore we can not accept a negative test in lieu of a vaccine. FC is requiring all attendees to provide proof they are fully vaccinated.
What is FCs policy on vaccines for staff?
- At this time, for safety of the entire convention staff, all attendees, and venue staff, FC is requiring all con staff members be fully vaccinated at the time the convention begins.
Am I exempt from the vaccine due to religious or health reasons?
At this time, there is no clear direction regarding vaccine exemption criteria therefore in the interest of maximizing safety we are not accepting exemption requests. We will monitor changes in such official directions and update this policy as needed.
We regretfully ask those with religious or health concerns to refrain from attending this year.
How will FC verify vaccine status?
- All attendees will be required to show either proof of vaccination via a CDC or state issued vaccination record OR a WHO recognised record from their home country. Refer to the Vaccination Requirements section.
Will FC require masks? What about under fursuits?
Short answer: Yes. Cloth or disposable masks as have been in general use during the pandemic will be required under fursuit heads. Fursuit heads themselves do not constitute a mask nor does a fursuit head “wearing” a mask.
You must be properly masked at all times when in public areas of the convention unless eating or drinking, as has been the case for many months now.
Does this policy change for minors?
- As we have seen in the news and official data, minors have become increasingly vulnerable to the new variants of COVID-19, therefore minors will be required to follow all appropriate safety protocols.
- Minors under 5 years old are exempt from vaccination requirement
Will one vaccine out of two be enough to attend?
All attendees are expected to be fully vaccinated at the start of the convention. Depending on the vaccine received that could mean either one injection or two.
One injection when two are required is not enough to attend.
Do I need a booster to be fully vaccinated?
- No. FC recommends attendees to take as much precaution as reasonably possible, and therefore highly recommends attendees to consider getting a booster, but CDC does not require a booster to be fully vaccinated https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html.
“I know person X is attending FC and isn’t vaccinated or has tested positive” (media screenshot), what are you going to do about it?
- All attendees are expected to provide proof of full vaccination. Those who are unable to do so will not be allowed to attend.
Is the hotel / venue doing anything to mitigate airborne virus (circulation, sanitizer, barriers, etc)
- As always, FC is working closely with all of our Hotel and Convention Center partners to ensure the highest level of health and safety for our attendees with obvious special emphasis this year on COVID-19 concerns.
Are we restricting room capacities or altering the layout of the con for example: spaces like dealers, main stage, hotel lobbies, fursuit lounge, etc
Yes, all con spaces are being evaluated in terms of distancing, occupancy capacity, and air circulation/ventilation considerations including areas where queueing normally occurs such as registration, elevator lobbies, dealers den, and so forth.
Queueing areas will have minimum distancing markings.
Headless lounge will NOT provide drying racks/blowers during our 2022 event. Any air circulation fans throughout convention space are not to be used for suit or head drying.
Are inflatable costumes allowed?
- Inflatable costumes which require a fan to remain inflated are not allowed.